Family Ties

 My parents were both born in Colombia,South America,as were my 2 brothers and 2 sisters.
Otilia & Eduardo Benavides
 (Mom & Dad)

(Mom,
Bill,Ingrid,Sandy,Eddie)

Not me though..I was the first born here in the states..

And now we have new generations here..
But family ties run deep and strong and Colombia
will always have a special place in my heart..



Here I am sitting with Abuelita (Grandma)
I have always felt a strong connection with her
She had a beautiful name..
Belen De Carvajal
and a beautiful heart...
she has stayed me with all these years..
and so
when I came across these Colombian coins...


...that I had in a drawer somewhere...
waiting to be found and
treasured again...
I decided to make myself something nice.

Enjoying some more practice time with soldering Rhinestones,
I added these tiny deep red ones Hubby found for me at a garage sale.Finishing it with a coating of resin and a hammered brass band.

 I spilled some solder on the side,but overall I was happy with the way this ring came out.


And my love for felt found its way into this double loop bracelet.
Isn't that coin amazing?

"For Love is Immortality."
-Emily Dickinson

Happy Friday Friends.
As always,
thank you so much for stopping by

Comments

Whosyergurl said…
Beautiful. A great way to keep family love close in your heart.

xo, Cheryl
Katy Cameron said…
Love how you've reused these coins, great idea
yoborobo said…
Those are beautiful! And the sentiment is lovely, Cat. You'll think of them all every time you look at them. :) xo
Lupe Meter said…
You did a beautiful job with those coins! What a nice way to treasure your memories of your homeland! Exquisite creations!
How lovely for you to create something so wonderful from family coins. Talk about recycling!!!
These will be cherished for generations to come I'm thinking.
Cat, you're amazing!
Anonymous said…
I love seeing the photos of your family and your grandmother, always special those bonds, love the way your work is speaking from the heart. xox Corrine
Lori ann said…
that's incredible! what a fantastic post, i really love this cat. your family, your abuelita, and the amazing things you made with those coins. the ring is beautiful and the bracelet, oh my.
Prządka said…
Beautiful memories, gorgeous jewelry. I admire your works, I like to peek at your blog. Greetings from faraway Poland :)
Susan said…
What a wonderful post, so full of family, love and remembering. I love what you created from the coins, Cat. Your sensitive, creative nature is always pouring forth in your works or art. It's a pleasure to read your journey here. Hugs, Susan
Sharon said…
Such a beautiful, lasting tribute to your wonderful Abuelita. Your creative expressions are par excellance!
Lovely post, thanks for sharing your photos and familiy story, beautiful jewelery ring and bracelet.
Cindy said…
Cat, I enjoyed learning more about your family...and what a beautiful family. Just look at you and your sister - I was fortunate to meet both of you. Your ties to Columbia are like mine to Japan with my Mom's side of the family there (I was born there too).
Your new resin/coin ring and felt bracelet are just so gorgeous. I'm always amazed at the range of creative ideas that you dream up! :-)

Popular Posts