For in the Dew of Little Things

 Retro Cafe now has these 8 x 10 shadowboxes and I absolutely love them!! 
There's just so much space to work with...For the artist, it's a perfect opportunity to really tell a story,offer a sentiment or just play!   
Today's shadowbox
"For in the Dew of Little Things"
inspired by the words of Kahlil Gibran and the beautiful Venus painting by Botticelli,who today, becomes my muse.


After assembling and gluing the Shadowbox I added assorted papers to the back.


Wanting dimensional water I stitched together assorted fabric scraps...


Added some Opal Magic Prima Paint to the fabric and when dry,hand stitched assorted trim and beads...


I knew I wanted some sort of sun burst,so I cut the paper intro strips...



and for the back waves I just manually cut some paper,added ink and black dots.


"Venus"  needed a stable background,so I mounted her onto to a female bust and foam dots to raise her up...


and also added masonite pieces(scraps from other projects) in area's that needed more height and also decided on the placement of my mermaids tail.


and then everything started to come together...



I added glitter to the tail, paper to the rest of the box, some Dresden gold trim, letters, sequin, and splattered dots on to the background...


I then added color shine spray to the flowers


and glued together some Fleur Cut outs to create a focal. I added glitter,stickers,and gold stickles








These beautiful words offer up a reminder,that every moment I take the time to fully experience can not only be a gift to the heart,but also to the mind,body and soul.


Retro Cafe Art items used in this tutorial:

"Long ago God drew a circle in the sand exactly around the spot where you are standing right now. You were never not coming here. This was never not going to happen.” — Elizabeth Gilbert

Here's to making every minute count,

Comments

Tristan Robin said…
Just delightful ... and I love the bee in Venus' bonnet! LOL Wonderful textures, colors, and composition. Brava!
Kathy Bradley said…
Beautiful shadow box - and wonderful quote.
Ret said…
Just love the sun, the quote and the whole experience of this beautiful shadow box!!
Chrissy said…
Cat!!! She is BEAUTIFUL and resonates with me. I never thought to incorporate classic art into a piece like this. I love how your cleverly brilliant mind works.
This is such an awesome piece Cat! One of my favorites!!! xoxo
Sandy_in_MD said…
Delightful work of art - thank you so much for sharing your work.
Amanda Summer said…
Love this shadow box, Cat - and how cool that you gave Aphrodite a mermaid tail!

Popular Posts