Brave Heart


I've taken art journaling workshops, I've purchased multiple media journals, along with countless supplies... but I have yet to start an art journal. This week I realized why that is. I mean I love the idea of art journaling...I really do,but what I dont like is that once you're finished with a page,you close it up and put it away. Today I have for you MY version of an art journal page... I approached it the same way I would a page layout and I love the way it came out! 

"Brave Heart" unlike a traditional art journal page,when you finish with this, it can be placed on your desk for you to enjoy over and over again! 


I first assembled the large Niche Shrine shadowbox.

Using a large art journal I placed these three stamps in random spots creating a pattern.

I then added Deco Art Fluids.(Primary Yellow,Primary Magenta and Teal)

 I then ripped the page out of the journal and then shredded it into strips.

 I glued the strips onto the shadowbox and then painted in between the spaces with black gesso.
I then added splashes of color with acrylic paint and extra dimension with a white sharpie.



Using the Pebble stone stencil,white gesso and a foam brush I added some additional design. Finished it with a layer of sealer and splattered Gold Color Shine.

I then stamped this image onto a piece of clear plastic sheet and sprinkled it with gold Color Shine spray.
The image reads in Latin "Alis Volat Propiis" which translates into "She flies with her own Wings"


Next, I spray painted a Niche frame black and again added gold shine spray.Added black and white card stock to the inside of the shadowbox and highlighted the corners with the same Primary yellow.


Painted a Rising Spirit Relics and Artifacts wing Teal and sprinkled with Gold Color Shine.Then I glued it in place.
I then placed the clear plastic sheet on top of the black frame and covered the edges in a mini Scalloped Dresden.
Lastly, I painted a compass rose in the same Magenta color and covered it in clear coating of Amazing Casting Resin then I glued it in the corner.


The back of the shadowbox has the journal part of the project. It reads
Finding my way
it's scary
but at some point
in order to grow
I have to be willing
to loose sight 
of the shore, 






Retro Cafe Art Products used in this tutorial:


"Long ago God drew a circle in the sand exactly around the spot where you are standing right now. You were never not coming here. This was never not going to happen.” — Elizabeth Gilbert

Here's to making every minute count,

Comments

Heather said…
Who says Art Journal Pages have to hide between covers? Well, this proves that idea wrong! Love the way you've incorporated the stamped graphics into the design...all adds up to a wondrous whole!
Chrissy said…
I am SUCH a sucker for bright, vivid color and this just makes my eyes pop right out of their sockets. The contrast with the black and the depth with the white sharpie is just magic. Not to mention, I absolutely LOVE this concept, Cat!!! What a brilliant idea! I, too, have an art journal and I just can't seem to really use it. I don't know if it's because of a similar thought like yours or if it's because I just get stumped at the whole "journal layout" idea. But your approach is beautiful melding of two ideas and substrates that works perfectly! I am definitely going to give this approach to journaling a try. Thank you for the inspiration and sharing.
This is such a wonderful piece Cat! I feel exactly the same way about journaling! I love having everything out in the open!!! xoxo

Popular Posts